Wednesday, June 14, 2017

WAVE YOUR SHOE IF YOU AGREE

This was the custom in former times in Israel concerning redeeming and exchanging: to confirm a transaction, the one drew off his sandal and gave it to the other.
Ruth 4:7


A strategic business deal worth millions approaches closure. Company lawyers dot every t and cross every i. (Then they turn around and do it the right way.)  Hours of negotiation finally end with one businessman taking off his shoe and handing it to his counterpart, sealing the deal. (Warning: Do not actually try this. You might get the boot in exchange!) That’s exactly what happened when Boaz bargained to marry and care for Ruth. Instead of signing legal documents or conducting a church ceremony, they passed a sandal, and Boaz and Ruth became husband and wife.  

Don’t wave your shoe right now (unless you’re alone), but at least wiggle your foot if you agree with the following:

1.   God loves me, and I love Him.
2.   I will invite God to show me His will as I pray for His wisdom.
3.   I will hate evil but pray for my enemies.
4.   I will ask God for forgiveness daily.
5.   I will forgive myself and others as God has forgiven me.    
6.   I will spend a few moments each day mediating on God’s Word, and I will accept the blessings that come from it.
7.   I will bring all my needs to Jesus and gratefully accept His answers to my prayers.              
                                                             
By now, your ankle probably aches, and anyone watching probably thinks you have a nervous twitch.

So what? Be like Boaz and Ruth after the other guy waved the sandal and sealed the deal. Go off and live happily ever after, in God’s grace, of course.



In Christ,
Janet Irene Thomas
Playwright/Screen Writer/Director
Published Author/Gospel Lyricist &Producer
FOUNDER/CEO
Bible Stories Theatre of
Fine & Performing Arts

www.biblestoriestheatre.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment